Sunday, April 05, 2020

Longer Steals …




"Llama? Llama? Are you alright?"

No answer from down the elevator shaft. I haven't heard of the animal for quite some time now. I really hope it is alright and this virus out there does not affect the camel-likes.

"Llama?"

One last try, but the only sound from down there is the echo of dripping water like from some deep, dark cave.

I am looking at my watch thinking about getting my phone to call the janitor who is not our concierge or vice versa, an ambulance or maybe the police. Or should I call the fire brigade or maybe the dog catcher?

All of a sudden I hear a loud clanging from the shaft not like the elevator cabin is falling further down the shaft more like the sound of metallic cooking pots and their lids.

"Llama?"

The very last try.

"Go away, you viral human!" The animal shouts. "Keep the distance!"

"What is going on down there?" I ask. "I was worried, you know."

"You don't need to worry!"

Sounds like the animal is chewing and eating something. More clanking of dishes.

"What are you eating, animal? I can hear your smacking and slurping."

"You got me."

The llama sounds like it is frowning.

"Did you know that Speedy returned to the basemant of Whitaker Lane number 666 and re-opened his Sandwich Bar & Café?"

"No", I say, "I am in self-isolation and haven't left the penthouse for weeks, you know?"

"Bad timing that little, mousy guy has, if you want my opinion", the animal says, "Opening his restaurant just hours before the virus crisis closes each and every restaurant in the country."

"Oh", is all I can reply.

"But", three letters accompanied by a diabolic giggling, "I found a secret passway from the bottom of the elevator shaft to Speedy's storage room next to the bar's kitchen."

"WHAAAT?"

"I've been eating salads and pasta and sandwich bread for weeks now. I am so fed up and stuffed I can hardly pass the narrow secret tunnel anymore."

"Glad to hear that you are not starving down there, animal", I shout. "But don't you think that Speedy might not be too happy about you stealing his food stocks? Don't you think that he might want to start a delivery service now that he cannot open his bar and café on a daily basis?"

"Delivery service?!" The animal sounds like having some kind of enlightment. "That's why Speedy is hanging around in his kitchen all this time. Could you throw your smartphone down here?"

"Why?" I want to know.

"I haven't paid the bills for my mobile lately and I want to call Speedy to order more pasta!"

I just shake my head.

"I am glad you are alright, animal. Keep the distance and stay healthy and clean."

Today is Sunday, the 5th of April 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment