Wednesday, December 07, 2022

Bromford Below - Part 07


»Why so sad, little man?« Another elderly woman with a strict look and a gray hair-bun walks up to me trying to grab my face by the cheeks. »And why the long face? Leave long faces to the horses, they are used to them.«

»Who are you?« I ask trying to sound as if I really care.

»Come on, little man, you must know me. Every man of your age in Bromford, the friendly town by the bay and seaside, knows me. I used to be every men's first teacher in primary school. Don't you recognize me? I am Miss Somerhalder, Miss Samantha Somerhalder.«

»I didn't go to primary school in Bromford«, I try to explain. »I used to live at the Polar Circle when I was a kid of that age. I didn't move to Bromford before 2009.«

»I am pretty sure you were one of my little penguins at the Bear Mountain Park Picnic once«, Miss Somerhalder insists.

»Penguins do not live near the Polar Circle«, the llama adds. »That is the Arctic, where the polar bears live. Antarctic, that's where the penguins dwell.«

»The other day at university«, Nigel joins this strange conversation, »I read an article about that annual picnic in Bromford and how a lost and hungry polar bear attacked a group of dancing primary pupils. And weren't they dressed up as penguins?«

Miss Somerhalder is shaking her head and hands, »My boyfriend's lawyer said it wasn't my fault and they had nothing against me.«

»Puffins«, Professor Sideburns says. »Puffins live in the Arctic. Maybe you all have mixed up penguins with puffins.«

But I remember Miss Somerhalder now, not from my schooldays, but from the apartment-building on 666, Whitaker Lane.

»You are Samantha Somerhalder from Apartment 7, aren't you? Former primary teacher. And your boyfriend is that rich guy from Apartment 21 - Harrod Woolforth, Foolworth, or something like that.«

»I don't know what you are talking about«, Miss Somerhalder says in a singing tone. »But every time I see a sad face I have to do something about it. How can we turn that frown upside down?«

»Make him do a headstand«, the llama suggests.

My head is spinning. Memories of fisher Frank Rutherford and how he bludgeoned a wild polar bear to death, a statue they made of this and the annual Bear Park Picnic they organize around that statue come to my mind.

And out of nothing Miss Somerhalder asks the following question, »What is the capitol of Poland?«

»David Bowie said Warszawa«, I think.

๐ŸŽ„๐ŸŽ„๐ŸŽ„๐Ÿ•ฏ๐ŸŽ„๐ŸŽ…
๐ŸŽ„

"Bromford, Michigan"

I was born in Bromford, Michigan
And I grew up in a house on Bromford Bay
My daddy was a poor hard working Bromford fisherman
Too many times he came home with too little pay

I loved a girl in Bromford, Michigan
She was the daughter of a wealthy, wealthy man
But he called me, "That son of a Bromford fisherman"
And not good enough to ever claim his daughter's hand

That's why I'm up here in Alaska looking around for gold
Like a crazy fool I'm a digging in the frozen ground, so cold
But with each new day I pray I'll strike it rich and then
I'll go back home and claim my love in Bromford, Michigan

I wrote my love in Bromford, Michigan
I said, "Honey, I'm a coming home, please wait for me
And you can tell your dad that I'm coming back a richer man
I've hit the biggest strike in Klondike history"

Her dad met the bus in Bromford, Michigan
And he gave me a great big party with champagne
Then he said, "Son, you're wise, young ambitious man
Why don't you sell your father-in-law your Klondike claim?"

Now he's up there in Alaska digging in the cold, cold ground
That greedy fool is a looking for the gold I never found
But it serves him right and nobody here is missing him
Least of all the newly-weds of Bromford, Michigan



3 comments:

  1. Yes, Yes, Yes. It's Saginaw. And it's Johnny, the Cash...
    Johnny Cash - Saginaw, Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1 point for Saginaw. Welcome Saginaw...

    341 songs about 176 different cities (and places).

    *** New York IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII (including Manhattan IIIII and Brooklyn III and Chelsea II and Harlem I) ***

    Los Angeles IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII (including Hollywood IIIIIIIIII and West Hills I)
    Hamburg IIIIIIIIIIIIIII (including St. Pauli III and Wilhelmsburg I and Altona I and Jenfeld I and Bahrenfeld I and Ohlsdorf I and Niendorf I)
    London IIIIIIIIIIIIIII (including Chelsea III and Londinium I and Walthamstow I and Muswell Hill I)
    Berlin IIIIIIIII
    Amsterdam IIIIIIII
    Jerusalem IIIIII
    Babylon/Babel IIIIII (Pompeii is in this part of the list so...)
    Bethlehem IIIII
    Memphis IIIII
    San Francisco IIII
    Chicago IIII
    Warsaw IIII (including Warszawa I)
    New Orleans III
    Philadelphia III
    Manchester III
    Detroit III
    Paris III
    Houston III
    Baltimore III
    Moscow III
    Rome III
    Budapest II
    Hong Kong II
    Tijuana II
    Acapulco II
    Montrรฉal II
    Seattle II
    Galway II
    Washington II
    Barcelona II
    Belfast II
    Shanghai II
    Tulsa II
    Jupiter II
    Miami II
    Damascus II
    Vienna II
    Saint Malo II (also San Malo I)
    Jericho II
    Malice I
    San Josรฉ I
    Scarborough I
    Atlantic City I
    Pompeii I
    Waterloo I
    Pyongyang I
    Yarmouth I
    Santa Maria Da Feira I
    Berkeley I
    West Palm Beach I
    Cologne I
    Monterey I
    Starkville I
    Odessa I
    Tupelo I
    Leningrad I
    Fribourg I
    Montgomery I
    Folsom I
    Perth I
    Sanibel I
    Harrisburg I
    Gloucester I
    Calgary I
    Blackfield I
    Omaha I
    Gainesville I
    Santiago I
    Chernobyl I
    Grevenbroich I
    Brownsville I
    Mason City I
    Benton I
    San Jacinto I
    Cairo I
    Grafton I
    Istanbul I
    Nazareth I
    Aurora I
    Durango I
    Donkey Town I
    Key West I
    Laredo I
    Durban I
    Bangkok I
    Bowenville I
    Woodstock I
    Kalispell I
    El Dorado I
    Gaza I
    Las Vegas I
    Oxford I
    Orlรฉans I
    Kilronan I
    Santa Fe I
    Leicester I
    Saskatoon I
    Singapore I
    Poughkeepsie I
    Twin Falls I
    Greenwich I
    Ottawa I
    Red Lake I
    Sapokanikan I
    Tokyo I
    Guernica I
    Port I
    Sheffield I
    Skara Brae I
    Grantchester I
    Bingen I
    Columbia I
    Venice I
    Baghdad I
    Marquette I
    Salisbury I
    Birnam I
    Ramada I
    Putnam I
    Sterling I
    Pittsfield I
    Driftwood I
    Soma I
    Copenhagen I
    New Danville I
    New Paris I
    Muskegon I
    Metropolis I
    Sapporo I
    Johnsburg I
    Nashville I
    St. Charles I
    Tipperary I
    Sherwood I
    Juno I
    Aberdeen I
    Margarita I
    Highland I
    Millbrook I
    Southampton I
    Central City I
    San Bernardino I
    Westfall I
    Buffalo I
    Kansas City I
    Guajira I
    Sarajevo I
    Zebulon I
    Asbury Park I
    St. Lawrence I
    Santa Monica I
    Mount Airy I
    Valparaiso I
    Jacksonville I
    Atlanta I
    Brighton I
    Black Mountain I
    Galveston I
    Grenville I
    Oklahoma I
    Heartland I
    Sedan I
    Blanchard I
    San Malo I
    St. James I
    Saginaw I

    Not even really a (real) city or place:
    Jersey III
    California II
    Gomorrah II
    Albion I
    Essex I
    Idaho I
    Atlantis I
    Camelot I
    A City With No Name I
    Drywood I

    ๐Ÿฆ™๐Ÿฆ™๐Ÿฆ™

    ReplyDelete