Friday, March 11, 2016

Coffee...


I am sitting in a business meeting. Drinking coffee. Black without milk but with three pieces of sugar. Or is it the other way around?

Who invented coffee? And who connected it to business, meetings, offices and suits? Are coffee stains worse with or without milk? All these questions again.

And I could tell you and myself a short history about coffee, how a shepherd in Africa discovered how vivid and awake his goats became after eating these certain bean-shaped fruits from that plants around the meadows, how he learned to use it and how he and his village invented and used that black, hot beverage.

But I am too tired to even think.

It was in Ethiopia I think. But do you call him a shepherd even if he didn't look after sheep but goats in those days? Some family but different species.

I am too tired. These meetings upset my sleeping cycle. If I don't close my eyes within the next 20 minutes I won't be able to fall asleep within the next 90 minutes. Insomnia is knocking at your door. Or is it the window?

And if that guy across the conference table doesn't stop talking within the next minutes I will put my pencil – never mind, it's pointless – in one of his ears, ram it into his brain and make it reappear in and out of his other ear.

All that mess. Coffee stains all over shirt and table. I think it's that cocaine inside the coffee that keeps you awake. Or what is the secret ingredient of coffee called?

And while the talking and thinking goes on my spoon stirs black coffee and white milk to a brown mass. In a little whirlwind in a cup. Round and around. This is not your cup of coffee.

I don't drink coffee I take tea, my dear.

I don't drink coffee I take tea my dear
I like my toast done on one side
And you can hear it in my accent when I talk
I'm an Englishman in New York
See me walking down Fifth Avenue
A walking cane here at my side
I take it everywhere I walk
I'm an Englishman in New York

I'm an alien, I'm a legal alien
I'm an Englishman in New York
I'm an alien, I'm a legal alien
I'm an Englishman in New York

If "manners maketh man" as someone said
He's the hero of the day
It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile
Be yourself no matter what they say

I'm an alien, I'm a legal alien
I'm an Englishman in New York
I'm an alien, I'm a legal alien
I'm an Englishman in New York

Modesty, propriety can lead to notoriety
You could end up as the only one
Gentleness, sobriety are rare in this society
At night a candle's brighter than the sun

Takes more than combat gear to make a man
Takes more than license for a gun
Confront your enemies, avoid them when you can
A gentleman will walk but never run

If "manners maketh man" as someone said
He's the hero of the day
It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile
Be yourself no matter what they say

I'm an alien, I'm a legal alien
I'm an Englishman in New York
I'm an alien, I'm a legal alien
I'm an Englishman in New York

No comments:

Post a Comment